Monday, March 3, 2008

Toast Sandwiches(Potato Filling)


Toast Sandwiches are greatly demanded as my Mil makes them super-tasty!
Simple aloo filling, toasting them and smearing with butter, dipped in tomato sauce = yummmm!
It goes as a brunch, being very filling and tasty!

Ingredients :
12 slices (normal toast) bread
4 boiled medium potatoes
1 medium tomato
2 cloves big garlic minced
1/2 tsp rai (mustard seeds)
1/2 tsp jeera(cumin seeds)
1/2 tsp haldi (Turmeric pwdr)
1 tsp red chili powder
salt to taste
Butter (salted - 1/4 tsp each slice)-OPTIONAL
Tomato ketchup/sauce

Method :

For filling :
In a big bowl, mash the potatoes add haldi, mirchi powder and salt. In a kadhai, heat a tsp of cooking oil, splutter rai, crackle mustard, add the minced garlic, saute till light brown, add the tomatoes, cook for upto 3 minutes. Add the mashed potatoes to it, mix well for around 2 minutes, put off the flame cover the lid.

Prepare for toasting :
Put on the electric toaster. Take a slice of bread, spread the filling evenly place another slice. Prepare such two pieces, place on toaster, before closing the toaster lid, spread little softened salted butter(skip butter-it would still taste as delicious! ) Close the toaster, once the green light flashes, open, and serve hot with sauce. Repeat the process till you are full! :D


I have no photos of the filling.

This post is being ushered by me to my very very first event, being hosted at Sia's - "Ode to Potatoes"

Finally after contemplating, I could make it to an event, before the deadline!!!!! I looooooveeee anything with POTATOES!

15 comments:

FH said...

Welcome to event contributor World!!:D
I have that sandwich toaster too, I love it. My kids make Cream cheese and jam sandwiches in it, I love this potato filling anytime. Looks yum and great entry Purnima!:)

Sagari said...

these sandwitches look soo filling and yummy

indosungod said...

Bring on the potatoes :) The Toast sandwiches look and I am sure tastes awesome. I don't have a sandwich maker but my tortilla maker might work for the purpose.

KonkaniBlogger said...

Absolutely yummy Purnima..Its an all-time favourite with us too..easy to take along for kids also..Great entry for the potato event :)..Btw, am goin to try ur tutti-fruti cookies today, will let u knw :)..

Trupti said...

I love these sandwiches ..perfect for snack time

Namratha said...

When I read the title I was almost hoping it would be these beauties. I totally love them! Mom used to make these so often back in India, I really miss them here....well should buy a toaster :)

Dhivya said...

my kind of sandwithces..like those

Meera said...

Perfect snack!! Mom used to make this quick snack for us when we were kids. I really love this one. Simple, quick and filling.

Welcome to the contributor world of the web-events!! :-) Wonderful entry!!

bee said...

potatoes and bread. what's not to love?

Anonymous said...

Great entry. Love those sandwiches and with potatoes in it sure it must have tasted good.

Purnima said...

Asha --> You hv a blog dedicated to events!! :D Tku for your nice words!

Sagari --> 'Deed were!

ISG --> Its heavenly....u get good sleep if eating after a long..thats how heavenly! :D

Maya --> Thanks!If kids love french fries, why not feed them an Indian toast, makkhan marke? :D

Trupti --> True! Its loved by all!

Namratha --> Mom-mades hv out-of-this-world! (BTW I like your blog,congrats to you as your recipe was published, your mom as she appeared on TV!!PROUDEST moment!)

Dhivya --> Thanks

Meera --> Those were the days as kids!My mom had a single toast maker,metal one with long handle,which cd b placed on flames till done on both sides!! Hmmmm..some memories!!!

Bee --> Thats right!! :D

Shriya --> Thaaaankyou!! It Did!

Pravs said...

My mom used to make such sandwiches for us for lunch box. Really tasty one. Nice pic...craving for it now :P

sandhya said...

Nice entry.... looks yummy... perfect snack..

Uma said...

wow lovely sandwiches!

Sonia Kathuria said...

very interesting, although we make sandwitches with aloo but frying them before added a great tast....woh.....yummy