Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Chakkuli / Chakli / Murukku


Murukku or Chakli or Chakkuli(Konkani) is a snack usually which accompanies tea / coffee.
Its spicy and crispy which makes it all the more in demand. I have to thank Praveena here for sharing such a lovely recipe with all of us. Here is the original from a marvellous blog - Simply Spicy....or Zimbly Spicy? :)

My 21 month old gorged on 4 pieces the moment I offered him, I had to physically stop him so that he wouldn't choke on them and asked him to chew and eat. My 35 month old too loved it.

Here is the recipe.


Ingredients :
2 cups rice flour / ari podi/ chawal ka atta
1 cup besan/gram flour(kadala maav)/chaney ka atta
1 tbsp white til / sesame seeds
1 tbsp ajwain(carom seeds)/ Ova
1 tsp red chilli powder
1/4 tsp hing powder / asafoetida
1/4 cup(50 gms) melted butter
225 ml of lukewarm water (approx)
Salt
Oil (Vegetable or Peanut oil) for deep frying


Method :

In a large bowl, sieve together the flours, add ajwain, til, chilli pwdr, hing, salt and mix well.
Add the melted butter and mix well. Add little lukewarm water and knead into a soft dough.
Grease the chakli press with some oil, grease chakli mould too.


Take a part of the dough and stuff insidet he chakli press.










Onto a newspaper or paper napkin, press out in round shape and prepare one batch prior to frying.










Heat the oil on high, lower to medium flame when hot enough, and deep fry the chaklis(flip them once in between till they turn golden brown.)

Remove in a dish lined with paper napkin so that any extra oil is absorbed. Press the next batch while first is getting fried. The yield was 57 chaklis.


Njoi these savory chaklis as snacks with tea / coffee!!



.





9 comments:

FH said...

Started on Diwali already!:))
I love Chakli too. My daughter loves it, son doesn't eat those much.
Looks great, enjoy!:))

Purnima said...

Hi Ashakka, thankyou for the looks of it! Well its not exactly for Diwali..my daughter is going to a playschool (to b 3 next month)so all the efforts for her tiffin box! Though I compulsorily feed her dosa or equally heavy breakfast and lunch at 12.30, have to give her something to nibble on when her peers do!

Pravs said...

Awesome ! looks great. Thanks for trying out.So will you try out more of my recipes ?? :)

Sagari said...

i love chaklis but i dont know how to make thanks for the lovely recipe

Purnima said...

Sagari,welcome to my blog.You have nice recipes on your blog! Its easy to prepare chaklis once you have the chakli press.

Swaruchy said...

Murukkus.....perfect for the festive season Purnima :-)
Thanks for the recipe :-)

Anonymous said...

hey purnima , thanks for posting , m thinking of making them since quite some time now , ur post is a reminder and the pics look gud :)

Swaruchy said...

Purnima...I thought I left a comment here...Loved the chaklis and since its festival time this recipe is gonna be very useful dear :-)

Purnima said...

Sirisha,welcome to my blog..firstly let me tell you..I liked your name! Its unique and drips Sanskrit! Sorry abt not being able to publish the comment on time..I headed to your lovely blog and was engrossed with the cutest bunch of Halloween Kids and 'Prestige' issue!! ;)