Thursday, October 25, 2007

Walnut Cookies -Eggless

Vertical section of a cookie --Yum yum yummie to the core!!!!

Walnut Cookies...sounded great, last week when I went through Lazzat blog - Rahin, had a drool-on-this-pic of the cookies. Further when I read her recipe, ingredients and method, it was eggless and didn't have baking soda or baking powder either! What else could I ask for?

Thank you Rahin. I messed up first time, but she resolved my queries soon enough for me to give it a try again and succeed!!

My kids simply love it, I have to hide this cookie jar from them. Below measure gives an yield of 18 cookies.

Ingredients :
1 cup walnut powdered
1 cup all purspose flour / maida
1/4 tsp salt
25 gms granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 stick (100 gms) butter at room temperature
Powdered sugar

Method :
Mix the walnut powder along with maida and salt. (Use dry jar grinder for powdering the walnuts. Walnuts have oil in them which gives the powder not flowing but of a bit sticky texture. It would look like partly fine and partly like rava/semolina.) Keep aside.
In a large bowl, with the aid of a beater, beat the butter with sugar for minimum 2 mins till its homogeneous and fluffy. Add vanilla essence. Keeping the mixer on, add spoon by spoon the walnut mixture till it mixes in pretty well and comes together.
Use a spoon or fixed measure to scoop it out, press the dough a little (like kababs!) and shape it into cookies with shapes of your choice.
Pre-heat oven to 325 deg F. Line a parchment / waxed paper in a cookie sheet and arrange the cookie shaped dough with 1 inch spacing as they tend to spread a bit while getting baked.
Bake for 20 minutes. (You may flip it half-way through.)
Take it on a wire rack or plate for cooling, in a minute or two-not after that, sprinkle the powdered sugar. (I took the help of a new tea strainer, one tsp of powdered sugar in the strainer, holding it on the top of cookie, jerking the strainer clockwise on cookie for equal distribution. Let it cool for another 10-15 minutes before transferring to an airtight container.



This is the first time baked cookie in which I melted the butter but taste was awesome. I used a star shaped cookie cutter to shape it. I didn't sprinkle sugar on it.





Second time I baked these with butter kept at room temperature, they were sprinkled with some powdered sugar and were awesome to taste.
They were browned at base a bit more than needed as my electric oven emits more heat.
I baked these in electric oven..temp-150 deg C -20 mins precise.






After shifting it to this cookie jar, I had to wrap a paper towel around it so that my son doesn't demand them at odd times -my cabinets being full, I have no other place but my counter-top to place them!! Poor cookies soon would become extinct else!!




Make them, bake them and Njoi them at tea!




6 comments:

Unknown said...

Yummy looking biscuits.

Purnima said...

Pushpa, welcome to my blog!Try for Mahisha..she would like them for the taste of walnuts in them! :)

Anonymous said...

hey purnima , the cookies look gud :)

Purnima said...

Rahin thanks for posting them!

Mythreyee said...

Thank you so much for the lovely recipe. Will try very soon. I have a bag of walnuts in my pantry.

Divya Kudua said...

Hmm..yummy walnut cookies akka..was just going through your archives and am coming across so many wonderful recipes..shall try these out for sure!!