Sunday, May 23, 2010

Spinach-Feta Puffs for 'Adaptation: Blog Bites #3'






Spinach Feta Puffs as Appetizers


Puffpastry squares ready to be filled-spinach feta mix alongside.




Squares ready with filling to be popped into the oven




Had made up my mind about taking part in the event hosted by Nupur of One Hot Stove, Blog Bites # 3 - ADAPTATION.

Most of us due to many reasons surely adapt a recipe from blog and for me, Blogs, ever since I have discovered them, have been my cooking bible - nothing hardly goes wrong from a tried and tested recipe.

This recipe below is from Asha of Foodies Hope/Aroma from one of her thousands of recipes! We had dined out and I was amazed at the use of Feta-Spinach in rolls which appealed to my kids, making me try this lovely Spinach and Feta Pockets by Asha (incase you feel lost, its at the end of the post, in the link alongside).

I have chosen this many times tried recipe because it fits Nupur's theme perfectly. Asha has used crescent whereas I have used puffpastry squares. My family loves the filling and daughter even has the filling with chapatis. Just a perfect recipe for me.

SPINACH N FETA PUFFS (click here for Asha's Recipe)
Yields : 12 pcs


Ingredients :
10-12 cubes of frozen spinach(approx one cup)
100gm Feta cheese (I used Almarai Full cream Feta Cheese)
3/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Italian herbs
Tiny pinch of red chili flakes
1/4 tsp pepper powder
salt to taste
12 frozen squares of puff pastry (I used Sunbullah brand)

Method :
In a microwave (mw) safe dish, on high power, mw the frozen cubes for 5 minutes. (Mw till all the water has evaporated and spinach looks dried, take care not to burn it. Mw it for 10 seconds everytime and check if it has not got done in 5 minutes.)
Cool it. Add the garlic powder, herbs, flakes, pepper and salt, mix well.
Combine the cheese with a spoon in the spinach mixture.
Pre-heat the oven to 180C (that was as per instructions to bake on the puff pastry wrapper)
Line a roasting tray or baking tray with parchment. In each square, place a tablespoon of the mix and pinch the sides. (Remember: If the spinach filling is watery, it will make the puffs soggy, hence ensure a dry mixture.) I pinched the opposite edges of the square with light touch of water as in above image. Place with an inch of spacing on the prepared tray and bake for 10-12minutes or until golden brown. Serve hot.


Tips :
1. While making these, I experimented with mw to bring the frozen puff squares at a room temperature. I placed two squares from freezer on a plate and mw'd on a high for 10 seconds, one square for 5 seconds. It works fine if you have forgotten to thaw the squares.

2. Divide the filling to 12 portions or just place a tbspn each. If you have some spinach feta filling as left over, have it with chapatis, Chapati roll with spinach-feta : good lunch box idea for kids.


Enjoy these Puffs as Appetizers or even as Snacks.

Off the post goes to Nupur for Blogbites # 3, hope my entry is valid for your lovely event.

14 comments:

Nupur said...

What a treat to eat these tasty little squares! Thanks for a great entry.

FH said...

Yummy! Yummy! Yummy!! That's all I can say about these, Trisha LOVES those! Thanks for making these, easy and healthy combo, isn't it?

Just started the day. weekend was hectic and very humid here! :)

SpicyTasty said...

Sounds like an interesting recipe and an healthy one. Looks sooo yummy..

Divya Kudua said...

Yum..looks so good.I am a recent Spinach convert:),but sadly we don't get puff pastry here.making my own puff pastry has been one of my long-standing aims..:):).Let's see!!

SS blogs here said...

Your puffs are a great idea.. and thanks for the tips at the end about them needing to be frozen or not, etc. :) Cheers!

Anisheetu said...

great puffs are looking really great and i m sure they taste much more than that...

Vrinda said...

Nice puffs with healthy filling...Thanx for sharing

Purnima said...

Nupur --> Thanks, to Asha for lovely healthy recipe and to you for hosting wonderful event!

Asha --> Ur space is a miracle of food -by now I hv not only made these puffs many times, but also for my daughter who loves sp-fe filling..made it as spread for chapati n used in toast sandwich filling too! Thankyou wd b an understatement!

SpicyT --> Do try the easy peasy filling..feta is a yummy cheese.

Divu --> Puffs or not, do try wt chapati or toast sandwiches wt these?? Shall fwd u a lovely link of puff frm scratch. :)

SS --> Glad u like the tips.

Anisheetu --> Going by my family, no. of times I hv made these, can vouch for the taste too! :)

Vrinda --> Thanks, do give these a try!

amna said...

what lovely squares, i am yet to try anything like this :)

Malar Gandhi said...

Love this spinach feta puffs so much, perfect with a cup of coffee.:)

sanjeeta kk said...

Filling makes the pastry more interesting to try.
Added you in my blogroll.

Unknown said...

Wow looks crispy n perfect

Sandhya Hariharan said...

We love puff Purnima... and lovely presentation...
Choice of filling is different ...n appetising..

Visitng ur space for the first time....Do sneak a peek in my space when time permits.


Cheers
Sandhya's Kitchen

FH said...

Hi Purni, how are you girl? Just checked your comment and replied. I will be back in Jan, busy time time! :)